Photo Gallery
HOME > Information > Overseas Offices
CopyRUL PRINT
Overseas Offices
[Uganda Office Story] A Success Story of the Uganda ESMV Project
Administrator
04/20/2017

A Success Story of the Uganda ESMV Project

The Project for Establishment of Saemaul Model Villages in Uganda(ESMV) is a four year project(2015-2018) financed through a grant of two million and five hundred United States Dollars(US$2,500,000) by the Republic of Korea and a contribution of five hundred and thousand United States Dollars(US$500,000) by the Government of Uganda. The project is jointly implemented by Mpigi District Local Government(MDLG) and the Korean International Cooperation Agency(KOICA).

Following is a successful case of the project on the income generation in Uganda.

From October 3rd to 7th in 2016, 35 participants attended a training organized by the project at the National Farmers’ Leadership Centre. The five day training in dairy production and management turned out to be a life changing event especially for Namukwaya Fatuma.

Upon returning home, Namukwaya, a widow, sold her three indigenous cows and used the proceeds and some savings to buy a Holstein Friesian cross breed cow with calf at UGX 2 million. She also constructed a zero grazing unit to house the cow.

“..···I never imagined that I would ever keep an improved cow. However, with the knowledge I got from the training, I decided to shift from indigenous cows to the improved ones. Am very happy to have been chosen to participate in the training.”

Namukwaya hopes to get more milk and therefore income from a new cow than the previous ones. She plans to use the income to pay school fees for her children and also to improve her quality of life.

List